Friday, November 12, 2010

Finally, a beautiful day!

It is so gorgeous outside! Since this is my day off, I slept in until 8:30 this morning and woke up to sun streaming through the windows in my piso. After slowly eating breakfast and sipping my coffee, I decided to take a walk. I walked through the Parque de Doña Casilda and then strolled along the river past the Guggenheim and finally back through the city to my piso. The thermometer outside read 18 degrees, so I was perfectly comfortable walking around in a light sweatshirt. This is after many days of cold, rainy, windy weather, so I'm especially appreciative of the change. I should've brought a camera...

There not much to report on, except I finally joined the gym across the street (I'm still kind of sore...) and I taught my younger kids the Hokey Pokey. 

Oh! Portland got a shout-out in the newpaper this week! Not for any particular reason, just to shed some light on the city. The title is "La nueva meca de la bohemia blanca" (The new mecca of the white bohemian). Here are some quotes I thought were interesting (translated to English for you):
  • "I'll trade you two dozen eggs for some goat cheese." 
  • "[Portland] has become one of the new bohemian meccas of North America. Not only for people that pursue a lifestyle that's part rural-part urban, but also for thousands of young artists that search for inspiration in it's streets."
  • "Portland is also the best city in the country for pet owners."
  • "Portland has the profile of being one the the most attractive, little-known destinations in North America."
They also mention how some landmarks in Portland inspired the names of some characters in Los Simpson (like Ned Flanders and Montgomery Burns). If you didn't know already, The Simpsons is huge in Spain. In fact, they actually have a Simpsons mural on the outside of my school. 

Well, enough time on the internet, I've got to go take advantage of the weather before it gets dark. 

Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool. Thanks for writing this Ally. How long are you over there for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm here until June. But I'm coming home for Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete