Sunday, October 31, 2010

This was from October 25th...

So, it’s been a while since my last entry but let me catch you up on my life since then. Basically it feels like one big trial and error. Speaking of errors, I should correct one that I made in the last entry: Txakoli is actually white wine, not cider. My teacher corrected me today.

We went to a club last weekend… it wasn’t exactly the scene we were hoping for. We got off at the metro stop and walked about half a mile to Fever, which is in the middle of a bunch of warehouses. Most of the people there looked about 18 years old, which means that there was a good chance that some my students were there. Luckily, I didn’t recognize anyone (which doesn’t mean much because I have a like a million students). Anyway, we’re going to try to get some recommendations from people our age from now on…

On a more successful note, Jessica and I overcame some baking obstacles and invented lemon pancakes to go with our lemon cupcakes. OK, it was an impatient move, but they were pretty delicious.

School has been pretty good…  although I did miss my  first class today. Poor kids- they had to do activities from the book. I have two weekly schedules- and I got them mixed up.  That was embarrassing… but not as embarrassing as the shrimp incident: I thought this girl asked me “What do you want to eat”, which I thought was an odd question… I wasn’t really hungry, but I racked my brains trying to think of some acceptable answer. So finally, I said, “Right now shrimp sounds good. I’d like to eat some shrimp.” It looked like they didn’t understand me so I even drew a shrimp on the chalkboard (it was a pretty good drawing, actually). Then finally, the teacher goes, “I think you misunderstood… She asked you what you want to be”. You could safely say my goals in life are more than ambitious.

So, this Monday I went to Guernica for their Feria, which is a big festival/market. They had lots of local food and crafts. One thing about Spain is that there is not a ton of variety in the food. Even if there are different companies or brands, they still make the same thing. For example, there were probably at least 50 different cheese places, but they all offered one of two types of cheese: a tougher, parmesan-like cheese or goat cheese (queso de cabra). There were also booths that sold pastel vasca (basque cake), which I would describe as a mix between pudding and cheesecake- but not nearly as rich. Anyway, I got some produce and a scarf, finally… I went way too long without one.  I’ll probably need at least five more. Maybe once I get paid…

No comments:

Post a Comment